HISTORY OF THE EXIES
The Exies was founded in 1938 by a driving group of forward thinking RSL members. On the 5th march, 1938 a final inspection resulted in the signing of the lease for the first Club premises at 23 Banna Avenue, Griffith (Where Fred Coles Better Electrical currently stands).
On the 8th October, 1939, the committee decided it was time to make the shift across the road to a bigger premises know as the ‘Solider’s Memorial Hall’. Trading got busy that they had to employee three staff members, purchased their first refrigerator, 2 billiard tables & 2 token fruit machines. They started selling bottled beer & began trading on Sundays.
The RSL club made its final move to what was originally Mirrool House in Jondaryan Avenue (its current location). The premises was purchased for £10,000. The committee officially named the club ‘The Griffith Ex-servicemen’s Club’.
The clubs membership base expanded rapidly over the years, resulting in many renovations. The Griffith Ex-Servicemen’s Club was two story and was home to an array of sporting and leisure facilities for it’s ever growing patronage.
In July of 1982, a vicious fire brought the Griffith Ex-Servicemen’s club to its knees. A substantial amount of official records and artefacts were tragically lost in these fires.
Following the massive set back after the 1982 fires, the club reopened its doors and set out to rebuild the business.
In 1993, the Exies decided to expand their club beyond one site/venue with the purchase of the Exies Sports Club.
The Griffith Ex-Servicemen’s Club continues to expand. In 1994, major renovations took place to modernise the venue and create more space for its ever-growing membership base.
In 2007, the Exies Sports Club (fondly know as the Sporties) had a major reface building a modern club house for its members and many sporting groups.
The Griffith Ex-Servicemen’s club continued to expand with further renovations taking place in 2013. The interior renovations provided a modern look for the club and created a variety of unique spaces to cater to its ever growing membership base.
The Griffith Exies again expanded their empire, purchasing the Exies Bagtown Motel & Function centre in 2014.
2017 saw the extension of the Exies yet again with a bigger desk space, gaming facilities, change rooms and a new restaurant.
A Brief History: 1938 – 1994 by Joanna Hams, commissioned by The Griffith Ex-Servicemen’s Club, 1994
The Club: Official Organ of the Griffith Ex-Servicemen’s Club Vol.1, No1.
BECOME A MEMBER
Become a member or renew your membership online.